Fitzpatrick, ‘No Labels’ Announce Bipartisan Legislative Package
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Mike Fitzpatrick (PA-8) joined with 80 bipartisan lawmakers Thursday in front of the Capitol to announce a new legislative package that would cut government waste and make government more efficient.
The ‘Make Government Work!’ legislative package included nine bills introduced in both the House and Senate by the bipartisan group ‘No Labels.’
“My neighbors in Bucks County sent me to Washington to get things done- today’s announcement of common-sense bills points us in the right direction,” said Fitzpatrick at the event. “Finding common ground is step one to finding a true solution- No Labels provides that option.”
‘No Labels’ is a bipartisan group of rank-and-file lawmakers from both the House and Senate who meet regularly to discuss areas of common ground across party lines. The ‘Make Government Work!’ legislative represents the first legislative offering from the organization and its members.
“The ‘Make Government Work!’ agenda includes nine bipartisan bills that everyone in America can get behind,” said Fitzpatrick. “As a sponsor of one of the bills myself - and a cosponsor on every other - it’s easy to see that there is actually plenty of room for agreement between parties.”
The ‘Make Government Work!’ legislative package includes:
1. No budget, no pay (S.124, H.R. 310)
- If Congress cannot pass a budget and all annual spending bills on time, members should not get paid.
2. Take the time, save the dime (S. 554, H.R. 1869)
- Move to a two-year budgeting process. (H.R. 1869)
3. Don’t duplicate, consolidate (S.1231, H.R. 2506)
- Get rid of duplicate agencies and programs identified in 2013 by the Government Accountability Office.
4. Buy smarter and save
- Enforce strategic sourcing so that separate divisions within a single federal agency do not make independent contracts for common items.
5. No adding, no padding
- Stop assuming automatic year-to-year spending increases in agency budgets.
6. 21st century healthcare for heroes (H.R. 2590)
- Merge the electronic health records of the Department of Defense with the Department of Veterans Affairs.
7. Stay in place, cut the waste (H.R. 2643) - Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (PA-8)
- Cut 50 percent of agency travel and replace it with video conferencing.
8. Wasted energy, wasted dollars
- Reduce energy waste in federal buildings by incentivizing p0rivate companies to identify energy savings. The contractors would be paid with the dollars saved instead of with taxpayer dollars.
9. Plan for efficient and effective government
- Create a new Commission for Government Transformation to oversee and effect the transformation of various federal government programs so they will be more economical, efficient and effective.
Photos from the ‘Make Government Work!’ announcement event available HERE
Congressman Mike Fitzpatrick is serving his third term in the U.S. House of Representatives. He represents Pennsylvania’s 8th district which includes all of Bucks County as well as a portion of Montgomery County. He serves as the Vice Chairman of the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations.
No Labels is a group of Republicans and Democrats dedicated to promoting a new politics of problem solving in America. To arrange an interview with a No Labels co-founder, please contact Laura Phelps at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 630-5749 (c). To learn more about No Labels please visit www.NoLabels.org.