Fitzpatrick, House Strengthen Veterans’ Services
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Mike Fitzpatrick (PA-8) released the following statement Tuesday regarding the House’s bipartisan passage of legislation benefiting veterans:
“Monday night, the House acted in overwhelming bipartisan fashion to pass legislation that increases the quality of life for our nation’s veterans and ensures we are fully serving those who served us.
I was proud to support bills which address some of the most important issues facing our nation’s former fighting men and women, including: Increasing access to education, ensuring housing, and finding ways to address the backlog of claims at the VA.
When Congress works together we can accomplish real solutions to real problems. As a member of Veterans Jobs Caucus on Capitol Hill and the representative of thousands of Bucks and Montgomery counties I will continue to push legislation that works best for our nation’s heroes.”
Monday’s votes included:
- H.R. 1742 (Vulnerable Veterans Housing Reform Act of 2013) – excludes VA aid from veterans’ income calculation for purposes of determining HUD housing assistance.
- H.R. 2189 - Establishes a commission or task force to evaluate the backlog of disability claims of the Department of Veterans Affairs
- H.R. 2481 (Veterans Economic Opportunity Act of 2013) - Allows veterans to elect to convert their educational assistance to the post-9/11 veterans' educational assistance program
- H.R. 1405 - Amends title 38, United States Code, to require the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to include an appeals form in any notice of decision issued for the denial of a benefit sought
- H.R. 2011 (Veterans’ Advisory Committee on Education Improvement Act) - Extends the Veterans' Advisory Committee on Education until 2015 and requires the Committee to include veterans representative of the post-9/11 operations in Iraq and Afghanistan
- H.R. 3304 - Authorizes and requests the President to award the Medal of Honor to Bennie G. Adkins and Donald P. Sloat of the United States Army for acts of valor during the Vietnam Conflict.
Congressman Mike Fitzpatrick is serving his third term in the U.S. House of Representatives. He represents Pennsylvania’s 8th district which includes all of Bucks County as well as a portion of Montgomery County. He serves as the Vice Chairman of the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations.