Pennsylvania’s 1st District students who wish to attend a military service academy. One of the application requirements for the United States service academies (with the exception of the United States Coast Guard Academy) is a nomination from a government official. Providing these nominations is one of my most cherished duties as your Congressman.
In addition to my nomination, students from the 1st District may also seek nominations from the following sources:
- Senator Bob Casey, Jr. and/or Senator Pat Toomey
- Vice President Kamala D. Harris, who nominates five individuals from across the United Sates per year
- The Secretary of the Army, Navy, or Air Force, who nominates members of regular military, reserve components, and participants in the ROTC
Information regarding the application process for these nominations is available through the individual academy websites which are listed below. Although applying for more than one nomination may increase your chances of securing a nomination, doing so is neither required nor guarantees an appointment. If another authority nominates you, please notify me so that I may allow other candidates the opportunity for nomination.
(Please note: The United States Merchant Marine Academy only accepts congressional nominations)
(Please note: The United States Coast Guard Academy does NOT need a congressional nomiation)
Candidates for a service academy nomination should recognize that each academy has specific deadlines, separate and independent from my deadlines which must be met if an application is to be successful. Academy websites provide information about deadlines and other application requirements. Also please note that I consider applications only from 1st District residents and children of 1st District residents.
Please keep in mind that a nomination is only one of the requirements for matriculation to one of our nation’s service academies. You MUST also apply directly to each service academy individually. At the same time you apply for a nomination through my office, you should also request admissions information from each academy to which you plan to apply if you have not already done so.
Finally, if you wish to be considered for a congressional nomination, you will need to submit the following to my District Office in Langhorne:
- A nomination application (Please complete, print and sign the PA01 Service Academy Nomination Application attached to this message and include it with your nomination application materials)
- The PA01 Service Academy Checklist
- Recent photograph of yourself on a WHITE background attached to the Nomination Application. *Passport Photo Size Preferred*
- An official copy of your high school transcripts, including your GPA, your class size, and your ranking within that class (MANDATORY)
- An official copy of your SAT or ACT scores (If taken multiple times, I will consider the highest scores for each section) [SAT Institution Code 2362 / ACT Code 7635]
- Three letters of recommendation: one from a Math or Science teacher; one from an English teacher; and one from a coach, employer/supervisor or other non-family figure with firsthand knowledge of your leadership and interpersonal skills
- Most Current Resume
- No more than 1,500 word essay in APA Format explaining the following
- What does "Service" mean to you?
- Find a quote on Leadership, write what it means to you, and explain how it Affects your Ability to Lead others.
- When you are under stress, what do you do to handle the situation?
Please forward the requested information at your earliest convenience to my Military Service Academy Coordinator located in my District Office at PA01ServiceAcademy@mail.house.gov or at the address 1717 Langhorne Newtown Road, Suite 225, Langhorne, PA 19047. Additionally, we ask that you submit information as you compile it rather than waiting until you have everything completed.
Applications will be open in May with nomination application materials due NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2021 AT 4:30PM. Additionally, a Service Academy Advisory Board will conduct final interviews in December: Date TBD. Applicants will be notified via phone/email of their interview times with the respective Academy Boards.
Please contact my Military Service Academy Coordinator, Peter Chong at PA01ServiceAcademy@mail.house.gov or (215) 579-8102 if you have any additional questions regarding the nomination process.
I thank you for your interest in serving our nation and best of luck.