I am already beginning to receive numerous inquiries from Pennsylvania’s 8th District students who wish to attend a military service academy. One of the application requirements for the United States service academies (with the exception of the United States Coast Guard Academy) is a nomination from a government official. Providing these nominations is one of my most cherished duties as your Congressman. To help explain the application process I will be holding several Service Academy Information Session from June to September. The next Service Academy Information Session will take place on Tuesday, July 10th from 5:30pm to 9:00 pm at Delaware Valley University in Doylestown.
In addition to my nomination, students from the 8th District may also seek nominations from the following sources:
- Senator Bob Casey, Jr. and/or Senator Pat Toomey
- President Donald Trump, who nominates children of career military personnel, deceased or disabled veterans, military or civilian personnel in missing status and Medal of Honor recipients
- Vice President Mike Pence, who nominates five individuals from across the United Sates per year
- The Secretary of the Army, Navy, or Air Force, who nominates members of regular military, reserve components, and participants in the ROTC
Information regarding the application process for these nominations is available through the individual academy websites which are listed below. Although applying for more than one nomination may increase your chances of securing a nomination, doing so is neither required nor guarantees an appointment. If another authority nominates you, please notify me so that I may allow other candidates the opportunity for nomination.
(Please note: The United States Merchant Marine Academy only accepts congressional nominations)
(Please note: The United State Coast Guard Academy does NOT need a congressional nomiation)
Candidates for a service academy nomination should recognize that each academy has specific deadlines, separate and independent from my deadlines which must be met if an application is to be successful. Academy websites provide information about deadlines and other application requirements. Also please note that I consider applications only from 8th District residents and children of 8th District residents.
Please keep in mind that a nomination is only one of the requirements for matriculation to one of our nation’s service academies. You must also apply directly to each service academy individually. At the same time you apply for a nomination through my office, you should also request admissions information from each academy to which you plan to apply if you have not already done so.
Finally, if you wish to be considered for a congressional nomination, you will need to submit the following to my District Office in Langhorne:
1. A nomination application (Please complete, print and sign the NominationForm.pdf attached to this message and include it with your nomination application materials)
2. Recent photograph of yourself (Wallet/Passport Size) attached to the Nomination Application
2. An official copy of your high school transcripts, including your GPA, your class size, and your ranking within that class
3. An official copy of your SAT or ACT scores (If taken multiple times, I will consider the highest scores for each section) [SAT Institution Code 2362/ACT Code 7642]
4. Three letters of recommendation: one from a Math or Science teacher; one from an English teacher; and one from a coach, employer/supervisor or other non-family figure with firsthand knowledge of your leadership and interpersonal skills
5. Most Current Resume
6. A 750 (minimum) - 1,000 (maximum) word essay in APA Format explaining the following:
- What does "Service" mean to you?
- What is your personal definition of "Leadership"?
- How would you judge your ability to lead others?
- When you are under stress, what do you do to handle the situation? Who/What gives you the inner strength to endure?
Please forward the requested information at your earliest convenience to my Military Service Academy Liaison located in my District Office at PA08ServiceAcademy@mail.house.gov or at the address which is listed below. Additionally, we ask that you submit information as you compile it rather than waiting until you have everything completed.
Applications are currently open with nomination application materials due October 12, 2018 by 4:30pm (Exceptions will be handled on a case by case basis). Additionally, a Service Academy Advisory Board will conduct final interviews in mid-November 17, 2018 with the place to be determined by September. Applicants will be notified via phone/email of their interview times with the respective Academy Boards.
Please contact my Military Service Academy Liaison, Peter Chong at PA08ServiceAcademy@mail.house.gov or (215)579-8102 if you have any additional questions regarding the nomination process.
I thank you for your interest in serving our nation and look forward to hearing back from you.